melaniecclegg

The 5th Wave
Rick Yancey
How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea
Mira Grant
Pure - Julianna Baggott I started out absolutely loving this book. The intricate world-building, beautiful descriptions, and slow build-up that hinted at secrets yet to be uncovered were all right up my street. The descriptions of the macabre fusings were especially fascinating, and appealed to my rather twisted side. I love to be immersed in dark, detailed, worlds and this book offered that up in spades.

The characters were all generally likable, although I wasn't particularly interested in any of them, except for Bradwell. Pressia is an alright lead, certainly not someone I disliked, but I also never became that emotionally involved. It was mainly the plot and the world that had me hooked.

However, after around the halfway point, it just kind of fell apart for me. I heard that the film rights for the series have already been acquired by FOX, and maybe this had something to do with it, but it just seemed like the author suddenly decided the book needed some big ACTION SCENES and CAR CHASES when there was no real necessity for them. I'd also been enjoying the light touch of teasing hints and snippets of information, only to have a huge info dump fall on my head in the last couple of chapters. Said info of course raised more questions to lead into the sequels, but it also added far too many brand new ideas that hadn't been previously grounded in the story, leading to some confusion on my part.

I enjoyed the world immensely, and I would have been eager to carry on with the series if the first book had gone on as it started. As it is, I might pick the next one up, but it's no longer at the top of my to-read list.